Photo Gallery


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hula Girl


Hula Girl
Originally uploaded by sarahenrycakes
This cake was for a 50th birthday celebration that had a Hawaiian theme. They sent me an example of the plates they were using.

I had run out of fondant, and had been meaning to try out a new kind (at least new to me) from a store that I rarely go to because it's really out of the way. So I sent my husband to get it. Thankfully the ladies in the store knew what they were doing and pointed him in the right direction. This cake is covered using sugar paste. It is so much more enjoyable than store bought fondant. People will actually eat this stuff, and I think it totally smells like cotton candy. But since this was my first attempt with it I did have my own issues, like not rolling it thin enough in the center and the edges were too thin and almost didn't make it to cover the whole thing. But all in all, it was a good learning experience for me and I've since used it again and with much less trouble.

No comments: