Photo Gallery


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chocolate Experiment

There are some great cakes, and there are some not so great cakes. I have to say that I was not entirely happy with the finished look of this next cake.
A friend asked me if I could do a carrot cake with cream cheese icing for her friend's birthday. There was no plan as to how this cake should be decorated, I was told I could do it however I wished. I've done cream cheese icing in the past and didn't like the way that it held, or as the case may be, didn't hold it's shape. So I had an idea in my head as to what I wanted to do, but the only thing that resembled this imaginary picture turned out to be the layout. Hmm.
I decided to decorate with chocolate instead of icing. My experiment was to try to make chocolate leaves, based on actual leaves on a house plant of mine. Please be assured that I made sure to wash the leaves well before using them.

I melted chocolate, poured it over the leaves, let it harden, and then removed the real leaf from the chocolate. What was left was individual leaf shaped chocolates. Not too bad.
It was the assembly that started throwing me off. I was now working with melted runny chocolate. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get my lines right on the first try. The flow didn't want to stop where I wanted it to, but I tried anyways. My least favorite part was getting the writing to work. This was the only request that was made. "Please write Happy Birthday Hali" I had to try. I did manage to get all the spelling correct, but unfortunately it wasn't entirely level. I am hoping I get points for spelling and maybe that will keep the cake from being Cake Wrecks worthy.
You can be the judge.

No comments: