Photo Gallery


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dirtbike cake


Dirtbike cake
Originally uploaded by sarahenrycakes
The same client who ordered the 3D Buzz Lightyear cake gave me the challenge of creating a 3D Dirtbike cake. He asked for a Yamaha YZ450F doing a wheelie on a cake with water, grass, trees, etc.
The cake was no problem. I actually have leftover trees from another cake in the past. The Bike was the hard part and making it do a wheelie was another issue altogether.
I inserted a straw into the bottom of the bike at an angled position to make it do the wheelie and I used one of my decorating tools, an inverted flower nail placed under the cake, to hold the straw in place from below. I may or may not get my flower nail back the next time he orders a cake.
If I had started making the bike a few days earlier I wouldn't have had so much trouble getting it to stay together. It needed a lot of drying time for it to set solid enough for me to hold on to for painting.
Over all, for a first attempt, I do like how it turned out. I can't wait to find out what my next challenge will be.

No comments: